Summersgill questions United Way on funding of Boy Scouts
Director, DC United Way
95 M Street, SW, Suite 211
Washington, DC 20024-3640
Dear Ms. Lanham-Tracy:
We at the Gay and Lesbian Activists Alliance, the oldest continuously active Gay civil rights organization in the U.S., would like some information concerning the DC United Way and its funding of the National Capital Area Boy Scouts of America (BSA):
- What amount did the DCUW give to the BSA in grants (above individual
donations) during the past donation cycle?
- What amount is the DCUW planning to give in grants to the BSA for the
- Have any DCUW grant funds been specifically earmarked for "Learning for
Life," the BSA program open to all regardless of religion or sexual orientation
(categories which bar some youth from participating in the Boy Scouts), or have
funds been given to the BSA without any stipulations?
- Does the DCUW have an anti-discrimination policy? If so, please send us a
copy of this policy.
- Has the DC United Way board discussed funding of the National Capital Area
Boy Scouts of America in light of the recent Supreme Court ruling that BSA is
"a private club" and may actively discriminate?
- Please send us a copy of your most recent annual report and IRS Form 990.
We look forward to a prompt, substantive response. Thank you for your time.
Bob Summersgill, President
Gay and Lesbian Activists Alliance of Washington, D.C.