United Way responds to GLAA on Boy Scout fundingDISTRICT OF COLUMBIA UNITED WAY
95 M Street, SW: Suite 211, Washington, DC 20024-3640
Tel. (202) 488-2015, FAX (202) 484-2724
October 30, 2000
Mr. Bob Summersgill, President
Gay and Lesbian Activists Alliance, GLAA
P.O. Box 75265
Washington, DC 20013-5265
Dear Mr. Summersgill:
Thank you for your letter of October 22 requesting information concerning the DC United Way and its funding of the National Capital Boy Scouts of America (BSA). The following information answers each of the questions listed in your letter.
(1) The District of Columbia Community Services Fund (DCCSF) did not award any grants to the Boy Scouts of America, National Capital Area Council (BSA) during the past donation cycle.
(2) Under our process all participating campaign agencies have the opportunity to apply for Community Services Funds program grants. District of Columbia Community Services Fund (DCCSF) volunteers make decisions on the programs it should support.
The application deadline for all campaign participants this year is December 1, 2000. The proposal review process begins in January 2001 and ends in April. At this point, no decisions have been made on any future funding.
(3) No funds have been earmarked for BSA's "Learning for Life" program, nor have any grant funds been given by DCCSF to BSA without any stipulations
(4) All organizations applying to be listed in the United Way Campaign must certify that they observe a policy and practice of non-discrimination and are in compliance with their local human rights office before they are deemed eligible. This is our policy.
(5) The DCUW board has not discussed any funding of grant proposals because the grant review process does not begin until January 2001.
(6) We have attached a copy of our most recent annual report and IRS Form 990.
Our United Way is an organization that listens to the divergent views of the communities we serve. It is our desire to chart a course, which ensures that the greatest numbers of people in need are served. I am pleased to provide a response to your letter.
Marlena Lanham-Tracy, Regional Director
District of Columbia United Way